The SDG target 6.2 calls for, by 2030, achieving “access to adequate and equitable sanitation and hygiene for all and end open defecation, paying special attention to the needs of women and girls and those in vulnerable situations.” The provision of safe sanitation is central to eradicating extreme poverty (SDG 1).
Taking this global objective as a guiding principle the Saaf Sehatmand Pakistan Campaign is hosting a World Toilet Day event on 22nd November 2017 to raise the profile of sanitation and to encourage all tires of the government and communities to prioritise sanitation, health and hygiene. The event will serve as a curtain raiser for the upcoming SACOSAN VII that will be held in Pakistan in mid-February 2018. The SACOSAN is an important intergovernmental WASH advocacy and action forum in South Asia held every second year. Reasons hampering progress on sanitation services will be highlighted at the SACOSAN. This includes the fact that sanitation has since past not been regarded as a key priority, thus raising the need to improve the profile of sanitation in order to change the mind-sets of ordinary citizens, decision makers, all spheres of government and all stakeholders through advocacy programmes and campaigns.
Saaf Sehatmand Pakistan (Clean and Healthy Pakistan), is a five year large-scale multi-layered national behaviour change campaign on water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) that seeks to promote healthy living among the people by improving knowledge, attitudes, and practices related to safe drinking water, better sanitation, and improved hygiene.
As part of the World Toilet Day event, other activities will also be carried out through Saaf Sehatmand Pakistan and its partners. These include:
– Public messages on safe sanitation through radio and social media
– WASH Media Fellows, which is a group of journalists will be engaged to amplify the messaging on sanitation rights towards both right bearer and duty holder
– Pre-SACOSAN Workshop to help update participants from Punjab on SACOSAN development and how they can participate and prepare for the conference
– 50 community events and campaigns at Union Council and community level to mark the World Toilet Day 2017
– Community campaign in selected districts through Community Development Officers (CDOs) of Public Health Engineering Department, Punjab
Date(s) - 22/11/2017
10 h 00 min - 13 h 00 min
Avari Hotel Lahore