As part of the ongoing efforts to make sanitation for all a global development priority, the Permanent Mission of Singapore to the UN, together with UN-Water, UNICEF, UN Foundation and the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) organised a lunch-time panel event on 20 November at the UN HQ.
The event featured keynote speeches from senior UN and government officials and a representative from the private sector, who shared from a multi-stakeholder perspective, views on what more can be done to address the sanitation challenge. At the event, the WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme (JMP) for Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene presented the key findings from the newest report: “Progress on drinking water, sanitation and hygiene: 2017 update and Sustainable Development Goal Baselines”. The presentation covered progress towards achieving SDG 6 as well as highlight the sanitation challenges that still remain. The event was also co-sponsored by the Permanent Missions of Australia, Bangladesh, Costa Rica, Hungary, India, the Netherlands, Senegal and the Slovak Republic as part of their strong support for the 2030 Agenda, notably SDG 6.
The event was broadcasted on UN Web TV. This live cast may now be see here.
- Welcome Remarks by Moderator Ambassador Elizabeth Cousens, Deputy CEO, UN Foundation
- Remarks by HE Mr Mroslav Lajčák, President of the 72nd Session of the United Nations General Assembly
- Remarks by HE Amina J. Mohammed, Deputy Secretary-General, United Nations
- Video Message by Mr Gilbert F Houngbo, Chair, UN-Water and President of the International Fund for Agricultural development (IFAD)
- Remarks by Ambassador Burhan Gafoor, Permanent Representative of Singapore to the UN
- Presentation on WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme Report: “Progress on drinking water, sanitation and hygiene: 2017 update and Sustainable Development Goal Baselines” by Mr Sanjay Wijesekera, Associate Director, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Section, United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
- Remarks by Ambassador Masud Bin Momen, Permanent Representative of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh to the UN
- Remarks by Mr. Kevin Harmon, President and CEO of Brisa International Q&A and Interactive discussion
- Round up by Moderator – Ambassador Elizabeth Cousens