You’re Invited: Join Lava Mae and “Go Big” for World Toilet Day 2016!
Please join Lava Mae for a day of arts + activism on Saturday, November 19 – World Toilet Day 2016!
As cities across the globe mark World Toilet Day this year, Lava Mae is “going big” by staging a 14’ x 14” X 10′ Giant Tent Toiletart installation piece to call attention to the eye-opening lack of access to toilets for individuals around the world, across the U.S., and throughout San Francisco:
– 2.4 billion people around the globe lack access to safe, reliable sanitation.
– 1.5 million Americans lack access to full indoor plumbing.
– In San Francisco alone, more than 7,500 individuals experiencing homelessness lack access to restrooms and basic sanitation.
If you’re in the Bay Area, please join us with your guests LIVE from SF for an interactive day of art + activism designed to surprise, educate, and inspire adults + kids of all ages at:
Lava Mae – World Toilet Day 2016
Saturday, November 19
10am to 3pm
432 Octavia Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
Free with RSVP:
If you can’t make it in person (and even if you can), please join our FB event and take part online!
Lava Mae World Toilet Day activities include:
– An eye-opening, interactive art installation featuring a 14’ x 14” X 10′ giant toilet, plus accompanying toilet paper holder, created by world renowned artist Robin Lasser, who is widely-known for her interactive artworks and Tent Dress series.
– 826 Valencia-led student writing activities (think: Poop Haikus!)
– Tours of Lava Mae’s well-known and well-loved mobile hygiene Blue Bus.
– Learn More & Take Action stations to advocate for increased access to basic sanitation + hygiene for all.
The Giant Tent Toilet was created by world renowned artist Robin Lasser, who is widely-known for her interactive artworks and Tent Dress series, in collaboration with fashion designer Rachel Richardson and plumber/craftsman Sean Collins.
As viewers step inside the Tent Toilet interior, they will see blue swirls of water and hear accompanying audio of flushing sounds. The soundtrack will also include short reflections and stories from Lava Mae’s homeless guests, discussing the daily challenges of accessing sanitation and maintaining a sense of dignity.
We’d lava for you to join us on Saturday, November 19, and to please share this invitation widely!
RSVP for San Francisco event
Join our FB event from anywhere:
Date(s) - 19/11/2016
10 h 00 min - 15 h 00 min
432 Octavia St